ORCHARD PARK Taron Johnson Jerseys 2019 , N.Y. (AP) Kyle Williams knows hes more than capable of returning for a 14th season. What the Buffalo Bills defensive tackle wasnt sure he can handle is spending another spring and summer of practice and training camp watching his children play T-ball and soccer on FaceTime.The lure of being with his family overcame Williams passion for football in announcing Friday that hes retiring after Buffalo (5-10) closes its season hosting Miami (7-8) on Sunday.I love team. I love competing. But at the end of the day, it comes down to what are the most important things, the 35-year-old Williams said following practice.That still didnt make it easy for Buffalos longest-active tenured player who established himself as a respected leader and fan favorite for his lunch-bucket approach in a blue-collar community.I dont know if theres ever a good time, whether its now or whether its two years from now. Its going to hurt walking away, Williams said. Theres going to be a void in my life because of how much this game and how much this organization and what this team has meant to me.And yet, Williams is pleased to be leaving football on his own terms in being healthy and showing no signs of a drop in production.What hes most proud of is having spent his entire career in Buffalo, while also proving wrong the skeptics who questioned whether the 6-foot-1, 300-pound player was too small to succeed at the NFL level after the Bills selected him in the fifth round of the draft out of LSU.I think the hardest thing for me is going to be walking away from something that they said I couldnt do, Williams said. I think the main thing was that I never cheated anybody a day, whether its our fans, our owners, my teammates. I literally gave all I had every day. And Im comfortable knowing that and moving forward here.Williams was a second-team All-Pro in 2010 and earned five Pro Bowl selections. Hes a Pro Bowl alternate this year, and welcomed the chance to compete if the opportunity came up to represent the Bills for one last time.Williams made up his mind to retire upon informing his wife a few weeks ago, before breaking the news to coach Sean McDermott on Monday.McDermott joked by calling the news the worst Christmas present a man could get.The coach then went on to praise Williams for what hes meant to the Bills both on and off the field.We need more Kyle Williams, although theyre hard to find, McDermott said. You cant replace a guy like Kyle. They come around once in a career.Williams became McDermotts voice in the locker room, and served as mentor for the numerous youngsters Buffalo added this offseason.Williams influence even extended to offensive players, such as running back LeSean McCoy, who referred to the defensive tackle as one of the better leaders hes ever been around.Solid career. Hes a guy that likes to go against the odds. I like him, man White TreDavious White Jersey , I like his hard work, McCoy said. When I came here, I realized that type of play and attitude is what Buffalo is all about.Even opponents paid tribute with the New England Patriots posting a note on their Twitter account, which read, Nothing but respect. The post was accompanied by a video of Williams and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady shaking hands following New Englands 25-6 victory at Buffalo on Oct. 29.Williams retirement creates a large void for the Bills both on and off the field. And it comes 11 months after Buffalo lost another influential leader, when center Eric Wood was forced to retire after sustaining a career-ending neck injury.Out of 954 defensive plays through 15 games, Williams is second among Bills defensive linemen in playing 621 of them four fewer than pass-rusher Jerry Hughes. Williams has five sacks, his most since having 5 1/2 in 2014, and has already surpassed last years totals with 13 quarterback hits and five tackles for losses.Overall, he has 48 1/2 sacks, 139 quarterback hits and 92 tackles for losses in 182 career games.He also scored on a one-yard touchdown run in a 22-16 win at Miami in last seasons finale, which, combined with Baltimores loss to Cincinnati, led to Buffalo clinching a playoff berth and ending a 17-year postseason drought.Williams favorite moment was following being with his teammates in the locker room following the win, and watching Cincinnati eliminate Baltimore from contention on Andy Daltons 49-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Boyd on fourth down in the final minute.What made the moment extra special was how Williams enjoying the moment with his two sons.They were pretty young, but I hope theyll remember that forever, because their dad wont forget, he said.Williams has no firm plans on what hell do next, while saying hes had a discussion with McDermott about a possible role with the team.Though the Bills have taken a step back this season, Williams believes the team is headed in the right direction under McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane TreDavious White Jersey 2019 , and their vision to build through youth.Thats what makes it tough moving away, because of the direction were moving, the young guys we have, Williams said. Just know that Im always going to be a Buffalo Bill, and the main thing for those guys is theyve got all my support. NEW YORK (AP) Start them right away? Ease em in? Have them sit a whole season?When it comes to developing young quarterbacks in the NFL, it all depends on who you talk to.Some teams think its best to throw rookie QBs into the fire to learn on the job. Others prefer to gradually work them into the offense. Some say its more beneficial to have them grab a cap and clipboard and take it all in from the sideline.I think every position is the same, Jets offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates said. If someone cant handle it mentally, then you dont want to put them on the field, because naturally theyll play slower and be thinking instead of reacting.Sam Darnold clearly passed that test for New York, and the No. 3 overall pick in April was under center to start the season.If a player shows the athletic ability, the talent and has the mental capacity to handle a gameplan and go into a game and be successful, Bates said, then hes ready to play.That doesnt mean things have necessarily gone smoothly for the former USC star.Darnolds 14 interceptions lead the league and have contributed to the Jets 3-6 start. So have his 55.0 percent completion rate and 68.3 quarterback rating, which also rank among the worst in the league.Still, some point to these early struggles as crucial building blocks for the future.Im going to continue to learn, Darnold said Sunday after a 13-6 loss at Miami in which he threw four INTs. Theres always lessons to be learned.Of the 32 quarterbacks currently listed as starters for their teams, 12 were under center in Week 1 of their first season.On the flipside, some veteran superstar QBs waited a while before they got their chances.Aaron Rodgers was stuck behind Brett Favre in Green Bay before finally starting in his fourth season. Philip Rivers didnt start with the Chargers until his third year, when Drew Brees went to New Orleans. Even Brees didnt get his first NFL start until his second season.Tom Brady, Eli Manning White Zay Jones Jerseys , Ben Roethlisberger and Alex Smith werent Day 1 starters, either.In an ideal world, it gets to be like Drew, who had a chance to watch a little, or Tom Brady and Aaron, said former quarterback Rich Gannon, the 2002 NFL MVP and now an analyst for CBS Sports and SiriusXM NFL Radio.Patrick Mahomes sat behind Smith in Kansas City until Week 17 as a rookie last year, and now is a leading MVP candidate as one of the NFLs top gunslinger s with a league-leading 29 TD passes for the 8-1 Chiefs.We knew that Patrick was very talented, but any time that an NFL team goes with a young quarterback, usually its a very challenging endeavor, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said. Sometimes it takes time, several years, but as weve seen, Andy (Reid) had Patrick ready to go Week 1.