New York Giants NewsGiants’ unofficial depth chart: Suddenly Womens Kyle Lauletta Jersey , a real competition for the punting jobNew,29commentsIncumbent Riley Dixon has a new challengerEDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Giants’ unofficial depth chart: Suddenly, a real competition for the punting jobTwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailJohnny TownsendPhoto by Peter G. Aiken/Getty ImagesThe New York Giants claiming punter Johnny Townsend off waivers from the Oakland Raiders this week can only be read one way — there is now a real competition brewing for the Giants’ punting job.Ryan Anderson punted fairly well during the spring and summer, but apparently the Giants never saw the left-footed one-time Rutgers punter as true competition for incumbent Riley Dixon. The same can’t be said for Townsend, a 2018 fifth-round pick by the Raiders.Townsend did not live up to expectations in Oakland last year. The 24-year-old averaged 43.2 yards per punt in 2018, 31st in the league, during his rookie season. He was 29th in the league with a 38.3-yard net average.I reached out to Levi Damien of SB Nation’s Raiders web site, Silver & Black Pride, for thoughts on Townsend. Here are the results of a quick Q&A:<hr class="p-entry-hr" id="uJAGdm">Ed: Why did the Raiders waive him? Seems like a quick give-up on a draft pick.Levi: They would likely have cut him last season if they were playing for anything. He was statistically the worst punter in the NFL and didn’t really show the ability to improve in training camp.As far as him being a draft pick, he was a consolation prize really. Michael Dickson went early in the fifth round and the Packers traded up to the spot just ahead of the Raiders to steal J.K. Scott. The Raiders settled for Townsend at that point, though they swore he was their guy all along because that’s what they have to say.Ed: Was he as bad in 2018 as the stats indicate?Levi: Yeah Alec Ogletree Jersey , I believe he was that bad. He simply doesn’t have that strong of a leg. He was supposed to make up for it by being a directional punter, but that part of his game never really materialized in a meaningful way. At one point in the season he had at least one below 30-yard shank in several games in a row and each shank was worse than the previous. He was clearly in his head.Ed: If he beats out incumbent Riley Dixon for the Giants punting job, will that be because Townsend is good or Dixon is bad?Levi: From my perspective, it’s probably because Dixon didn’t show he was noticeably better and Townsend is younger so they would take a chance Townsend could improve while they know what Dixon brings to the table. But I would be surprised if the Giants weren’t still going to find themselves scanning the waiver wires for a better option soon regardless.<hr class="p-entry-hr" id="7sY3C4">Dixon, acquired from the Denver Broncos for a seventh-round pick, averaged 45.4 yards per punt last season. The Giants were seventh in the league with a net average of 42.9 yards per punt.Dixon was 27th in the NFL in percentage of punts downed inside the 20-yard line at 28.2 percent. Townsend was last among 35 qualifying punters at 24.3 percent.Below, a look at the Giants’ updated unofficial depth charts for Friday night’s Week 2 preseason game against the Chicago Bears.Giants 2019 Depth Chart (Offense)PositionFirst TeamSecond TeamThird TeamOtherPositionFirst TeamSecond TeamThird TeamOtherGiants 2019 Depth Chart (Defense)POSFIRSTSECONDTHIRDOTHERPOSFIRSTSECONDTHI RDOTHERGiants 2019 Depth Chart (Special Teams)POSFIRSTSECONDTHIRDOTHERPOSFIRSTSECONDTHIRDO THER EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — In the week leading up to their game against the Bears, the New York Giants insisted the toughest thing about playing against Chicago halfback Tarik Cohen was finding him.The 5-foot-6, lightning quick Cohen must have been invisible to the Giants on Sunday.Cohen caught 12 passes for 156 yards, ran eight times for 30 http://www.giantslockerroom.com/auth...stewart-jersey , returned two punts for 15, and threw a 1-yard touchdown pass as time ran out in the fourth quarter to help tie the game in a 30-27 overtime loss on Sunday.The 12 receptions, 150-plus yards and the TD throw allowed him to join Jerry Rice as the only players in NFL history with 150 yards receiving, 12 catches and a TD pass in a game.Despite the performance, Cohen wasn’t happy. Understandably so given the final score.“It’s a hurtful feeling, being that close,” the second-year pro said. “But it all falls on us. We put ourselves in that position. As a team, we dug that hole. It does hurt, still, to almost climb out of it, but not get there.”The play everyone will remember is the tying touchdown pass to Anthony Miller. It came after B.W. Webb of the Giants was called for pass interference in the end zone with :03 to play.Daniel handed off to tight end Trey Burton Youth Carl Banks Jerseys , who lateraled to Cohen, who had lined up in the slot on the left side.The play called for Daniel to circle out and be the primary receiver — like the Eagles’ Philly special in the Super Bowl that Burton threw — but the veteran backup quarterback who was starting for Mitchell Trubisky (shoulder) got picked and wasn’t an option.Running to his right, Cohen looked around and found a wide-open Miller for the touchdown.“That’s a play that we’ve had for a long time,” said Cohen, who also had a 23-yard catch on the tying drive to get the ball to the New York 9 with 11 seconds to go. “I think we put it in (the playbook) in camp or the beginning of the season. It’s designed to go to the quarterback, and there’s a second read on there. They had covered Chase (Daniel), so. in practice, I actually had to throw it this week, even though Chase wasn’t covered (in practice), so it worked out.”Cohen showed a sense of humor after the game. When asked what the play was called he said:“Oompa-Loompa.”For real?“I made that up,” he quickly admitted.Bears coach Matt Nagy said he was not tempted to go for the win after the touchdown.“You can look back after all this stuff happened and say Carl Banks Jerseys Stitched , man, ‘I wish we would have gone for two,'” said Nagy, who added the decision to go for one points was made at the start of the drive.The trick play with Cohen wasn’t the only one the Bears ran. They also used nose tackle Akiem Hicks on a fourth-down 1-yard dive for a touchdown that was reminiscent of William “The Fridge” Perry in the mid-1980s. It was called “freezer left.”“We have had that play in for weeks, and we’ve been practicing it,” Nagy said. “The rain was coming down. There was times where — I don’t know if you guys could tell — but there were some times out there on the field where the ball was slick, and so in that situation, that was the time where we felt like, ‘Hey, No. 1, let’s get this snap under center. Let’s give (Hicks) a chance Ray-Ray Armstrong Jersey ,’ and he is hard to stop down there with getting that ball full-steam ahead.”Hicks said he was “super excited” after getting the call.“Super excited to get behind our big fellas, our other big guys, and let them get me to the end zone,” Hicks said of his first career run. “It was pretty cool, man. It was a fun play and it was exciting.”